Opens Korean Modern Architecture
・Period : Apr. 24, 2010 ~ Aug. 15, 2010
・Venue : Gallery 2
"Architecture starts when you carefully put two bricks together."
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886 ~ 1969)
Clayarch Gimhae Museum serves as a cultural and educational venue that specializes in architectural ceramics and integrates art and industry. The name, "Clayarch" signifies its role of integrating ceramics and architecture fields as 'clay' stands for ceramics and 'arch' for architecture. This exhibition prepared under the title of "Clayarch = Construction + Ceramics" focuses its attention to bricks because bricks are the most common building material and they are ceramic in terms of materialistic qualities. Another reason it sheds light on bricks is that they are building materials used throughout the history and this represents its sustainability. The above quotation of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe demonstrates the features of bricks as a symbol representing construction. The focal point of this exhibition is the characteristics of bricks as building material, the historical significance and their symbolic role. We will have a close look at "Bricks" in four categories including Invention, Korean Modern Architecture, Renovation and Creation through this exhibition.
Part Ⅰ / Invention
In this category, we will introduce the materialistic qualities of bricks by displaying various kinds of bricks produced around the world and the manufacturing process. We will also create a chronology showing the major development of brick buildings on a chronology to raise awareness for the general public on brick buildings.
Part Ⅱ / Korea Modern Architecture
Although there are many different views on the starting and ending point of the modern period, we define the period ranging from 1880 to 1945. In this exhibition, we introduce main buildings constructed during this period. We present real bricks, construction reports, and photos of Suwon Hwaseong and Namhansanseong in order to prove that there was a brick culture in the Joseon Dynasty even before the introduction of western culture in late 19thcentury. We are trying to shed light on industrial and educational facilities, among others, made of brick the defining features of the modern period are the abolition of feudalism, the expansion of capitalism, and the establishment of the Enlightenment, and the public education. In addition along to these, foreign embassies and religious buildings will be presented that a time when the doors were opened by foreign forces.
The designation number : Historic Site No. 57
The designation date : January 21, 1963
The location : San 1 Sanseong-ri Jungbu-myeon Gwangju-si Gyeonggi-do
The construction time : 17th Century
Owned by : Government
Managed by : Gyeonggi Cultural Foundation
Namhansanseong fortress is a walled fortress constructed to guard the capital (Hanyang) along with Bukhansanseong. The walled fortress has a long history dating back to Silla Kingdom when a wall named Jujangseong was built here during the reign of Silla’s King Munmu-wang (r. 673). There is no direct record about Namhansanseong in Corea dynasty, but it was known as Iljang Castle after it became part of the Silla Dynasty’s territory according to Sejong Sillok Jiriji ( King Sejong’s Treatise on Geography). A sweeping renovation began in 1624, when the Manchus were threatening Ming China. In 1636, the Manchus invaded and Injo fled with his court and 13,800 soldiers to Namhansanseong. Here they were well defended and the king enjoyed the protection of a bodyguard. The Manchus were not able to take the fortress by storm, but after 45 days of siege the food supply inside ran out, and the king was forced to surrender, giving his sons as hostages and shifting allegiance from the Ming. The Samjeondo Monument was erected on the southern route from Seoul to Namhansanseong to mark this event. After that, the fortress went through a series of renovations. Facilities that still exist today include East and West Nammunroo, defense facilities such as Jangdae, Dondae and Bo, Ammun (secret door), well, government office building, military training facility. Many historical remains of Baekje in Namhansanseong connect the site with Onjo, founder of Baekje. With the facilities well renovated, Namhansansewong is considered as one of the best renovated mountain fortress in the nation.
Ⅱ-2. Suwon Hwaseong
The designation number : Historic Site No.3
The designation date : Jan 21, 1963
The location : 190 Yeonmoodong Jangangu Suwon Gyeonggi-do
The construction time : Late 18th Century (1794-1796)
Owned by : Government
Managed by : Suwon City
Hwaseong (Brilliant Castle/ Fortress) runs along both flat lowlands and steep hillsides (Paldal Mountain). The wall surrounding the centre of Suwon, the provincial capital of Gyeonggi-do, South Korea, was built in the late eighteenth century by King Jeongjo of the Joseon Dynasty as an act of piety. The King drew up a plan to move the capital to Hwaseong to honor and house the remains of his father Prince Jagnhun. Hwaseong Fortress was built over two and a half years, from 1794 to 1796 according to the scientific designs of the architect Yoo Hyung-won and Jeong Yak-yong by using the traditional crane. The walls, built along with the mountain terrain of Paldal Mountain, surrounded the center of the city. There were several attached facilities within the castle including Hwaseonghanggung, Jungposa, Naeposa and Sajikdan, but only Naknamheon which is the part of Hanggung is preserved. Unlike other castles, Suwon Hwaseong has a range of defense facilities as well as four gates and was built of stones and bricks. For the past 200 years, parts of the castle and the facilities have been damaged particularly during the Korean War. From 1975 the restoration work has been underway. UNESCO designated the fortress a World Heritage site in 1997 taking into account the scientific and practical structure as well as the significance of filial piety and the fortress designs.
The designation number : Intangible Cultural Properties No. 51
The designation date : Dec 17, 1982
Location : 28-1, Samcheong-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul
The construction year Construction started in May, 1883, completed in May 16, 1884
Size Single floor, 217.58㎡,
Owner (Manager) The Bank of Korea
Used as an armory of modern weapons during the late Joseon, Bunsachang, or "Armory of Bombs", is a building constructed between May of 1883 and May of 1884. According to the record, it was used to manufacture, repair and store modern weapons. “Bunsa” means pouring metal solution into a clay frame.
This is the first factory building in Korea and its architectural style combined Chinese with Western styles. It is the first brick building constructed by the traditional skills. It used dark gray and red bricks for its walls and king posts for the traditional gabled roof laid with red brick tiles. The main body consists of long stones and hexahedral stones. It also has ceiling windows used for ventilation.
The building was destroyed in 1932
The location: 34 bunji Jeongdong Jung-gu, Seoul
The construction year: Sept, 1887
Designed by Yosijawa Tomotaro, Constructed by Euseok Shim, Duckbo Kim
Size Semi-basement and one story building, 366㎡
Henry Appenzeller found the Paichai hakdang in June, 1885 for his missionary work. He used a traditional Korean house he bought through Scranton for the school building. With the number of the students increasing, he needed more missionaries. The name of the school was given by King Gojong in June 1886 when the additional building for the school was planned. The building, built of bricks in 1887, is the first of its kind modern school building in the country. The signboard hanging ceremony was held on March 14, 1887. The building has a rectangular-shaped simple structure with “moim” roof tiles on it. The additional building built of bricks has a half basement and single floor. The size of the additional building is 76×52feet. It has one chapel hall, 4 classrooms, a library, a principal’s office, teachers’ office and a classroom for technical training.
The class in the additional building began on Nov 1, 1887 and the old building was remodeled into a space for technical training. Later the old building was destroyed in 1932 when a new auditorium was built.
Ⅱ-5. Residence of British Embassy
The location: 4 bunji Jeongdong Jung-gu, Seoul
The construction year Construction started in July, 1890, completed in 1892
Designed by: British architect F. J. Marshall
Size: Basement and 2 Stories
Owner (Manager): British Embassy in Seoul
British Legation is the only modern building of which original form has been preserved among the legation buildings constructed between 1890 and 1910. It neighbors with a stone building in Deoksugung palace and is located deep inside the stonewall road. Carved on the cornerstone of the building is “This stone laid Mrs. Walter C. Hiller on the day of July 1890…” and “1890” is engraved on the gable. It is a two-story building built of red bricks and concrete. The structures embody a mix of western architectural styles and Romanesque architecture. The No. 1 building consists of a porch in the shape of a half-circled arch and the No. 2 building has an arch shaped like a horse’s hooves.
There was the residence of Limhaegoon who was grandson of Walsan, one of the members of the royal family. With the entrance of the Korea-Britain trade agreement in 1883, the settlement of foreigners within the capital was allowed. William George Aston who was the consul general at the time purchased the site.
Ⅱ-6. Deoksugung Junggwanheon
The designation number: Cultural Asset No. 82
The designation date: Feb 6, 2004
The location: 5-1 Jeongdong, Jung-gu, Seoul
The construction year: 1900
Size: Single story, 297㎡
Owner (Manager): Head of Cultural Heritage Administration
This tea house was built within Deoksugung palace in 1900. Gojong liked to listen to music, discuss current affairs, and drink coffee and tea here. It was preserved without any serious damage after the fire in the palace in 1904 and recorded as the oldest building within Deoksugung. It has 7 rooms in front and 5 rooms in side with a traditional half-hipped roof on it. The wall is decorated with gray and red bricks and its iron railings are decorated with bats, deer and pine trees. Unlike the western style capital, it used a unique capital and the column was decorated with bats which symbolized fortune at the time.
The building was built of a range of materials and it uniquely combined the western style with the traditional wooden construction. It embodies a mix of western and eastern architectural styles. It was once used as a shrine where the portraits of kings (Taejo, Gojing and Soonjong) were kept. Following the liberalization it was used as a tea house. “Junggwanhun” means a place from where you look peacefully old constructions with a pine grove.
Ⅱ-7. Myungdong Cathedral
The designation number: Historic Site No. 258
The designation date: Nov 22, 1977
The location: 1-8, Myung-dong 2-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul, Korea
The construction year: Construction began on the August 5th, 1892, and completed on the May 29, 1898
Size Two storied structure with a basement, 2,182.53㎡
Designed by Eugene Jean Georges Coste
Owner: Catholic Church Preservation Foundation
Myungdong Cathedral, or Myungdong Cathedral, is widely regarded as one that represents Korean Catholicism. The church building was designed by Father Coste and constructed with the financial support of the Paris Mission. The site belonged to Kim Beonwoo who was martyred, was purchased by the bishop Blanc under the name of Kim Gamilo. The construction was completed in 1989 after a trade agreement between Korea and France was entered into in 1887. The floor plan looks like a Latin cross and the main edifice is 23 meters high while the staple sores another 22 meters. Consecrated in 1898, it was built in the Gothic style. The gothic style was strongly expressed from the inside of the building. The walls and columns are made of bricks in various shapes. Twenty different types of bricks in two colors, red and gray were used in the construction. The repair works have recently been carried out as the painting applied in the early 1970’s worsened the weathering of the bricks.
Ⅱ-8. Yongsan Seminary and Wonhyoro Catholic Church
The designation number: Historic site No. 255
The designation date: Nov 22, 1977
The location: 7-1, Wonhyoro 4-ga, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, Korea
The construction year: Yongsan seminary- 1892, Wonhyoro Catholic Church- 1902
Designed by Eugene Jean Georges Coste
Size: Yongsan seminary 3 stories, 907.86㎡
Wonhyoro Catholic Church 3 stories, 264.47㎡
Yongsan Seminary was built in 1892, and Wonhyoro Catholic Church built in 1902. The two buildings were designed by Father E. J. G. Coste from the Paris Foreign Missions Society. Yongsan Seminary built of bricks has a half basement and two stories. At the center it has entrances and stairs. The seminary was moved to Hehwadong and used as a branch hospital of the Virgin Mary Hospital. It is now used as a nunnery by Seongshimhoe. The building was partially renovated but most of it has been well kept. Wonhyoro Catholic Church, built on a hill, has 3 stories on the southern side and 2 stories on the nunnery side. It has an asymmetric structure with the main entrance on the side of the building. The interior is very simple just as other churches but it has large arched windows and a small steeple showing the Gothic style of architecture.
The two buildings are very significant in terms of construction history because Yongsan Seminary is the first seminary building in Korea and Wonhyro Catholic Church is a cathedral built in the end of 19th century.
Ⅱ-9. Busanjin Ilsin Girl’s School
The designation number: Busan City Monument No. 55
The designation date: May 3, 2003
The location: 768-1 bunji Jwacheondong Dong-gu, Busan
The construction year: 1905
Size: Two-story building, 1,271㎡
Owner/Manager: The Presbyterian Church of Korea Gyeongnam Branch
Busanjin Ilshin Girl’s School building was constructed by the Mission dispatched by the Presbyterian Church of Australia in 1905. The western style building was well kept and is regarded as one of the most rare and important works in the Korean construction history. It also is the first education building for women in Busan and Gyeongnam area. Given the role it has taken on as an education facility and in the spread of Christianity, the building is considered as a valuable cultural asset.
This building constructed by Menzies missionary in 1905, is the oldest modern construction in Busan. The first floor of the western style building has a stone structure and the second floor is a mix of the wooden structure and bricks. It has a balcony in the front.
Ⅱ-10. Provisional Capital Presidential Residence
The designation number : Busan City Monument No.53
The designation date : May 6, 2002
The location : 22 bunji 3 ga Bumindong Seo-gu, Busan
The construction year : 1925
Size : Basement and 2 stories
Owner/Manager : Busan Metropolitan City
The presidential residence built in 1925 is a wooden building and used as an official residence for the provincial governor of Gyeonsangnamdo. The office of the governor was built in the western style while the residential space was built in the traditional Japanese style. In particular, it was used as the Presidential residence during the Korean War where important decisions on the politics, economy and military were made. In this sense, the building has significance in terms of the modern history and the construction history of Korea. During the Korean War, Busan was the temporary capital. At that time the building was used as the residence for the President Seungman Lee. As the office of provincial government of Gyeongsangnam-do was moved to Bumindong in Busan in 1925, the building was constructed to be used as the residence for the provincial governor in Aug. While Busan became the temporary capital during the Korean War, it was used as the residence for the President.
Ⅱ-11. Jeondong Cathedral and the Priest’s Office
The designation number: Historic Site No. 288
The designation date: Sept 25, 1981
The priest’s office: Cultural Asset Material No 178
The designation date: April 6, 2002
The location: 200-1 Jeondong 1 ga Wansan-gu Jeonju, Jeonbuk Province
The construction year: Catholic church construction began in 1908, completed in 1914 /The priest’s office was constructed in 1926
Designed by Victor Louis Poisnel
The priest’s office: Marcel Lacrouts
Size 2 stories, 623.7㎡
The priest’s office: 3 stories, 559.2㎡
Owner/Manager: Jeonju Catholic Church Foundation
This building was built of gray and red bricks. The appearance is similar to Myundong Cathedral in Seoul, and it is one of the most beautiful constructions in Korea. The church was designed by Victor Louis Poisnel, and the construction began in 1908 and completed in 1914. The floor plan looks like a Latin cross and the interior is divided into Nave and Aisle with the ceiling of Barrel vault. There is a high bell tower at the center and in the aisles are there small towers. The roof is decorated with a dodecagon-shaped pointed dome on a dodecagon-shaped drum while the small towers have an octagonal pointed dome on an octagonal drum. It embodies a mixture of Byzantine and Romanesque styles and is regarded as one of the most beautiful catholic churches in Korea.
The priest’s office was designed by Marcel Lacrouts and the construction was completed in 1926. The building was used as the office building and the residence for the parish priests in 1937, and from 1960 it was used as the residence of the chief and assistant priests. It is located in the eastern side of the church and faces north just as the church. There is a main entrance at the center of the building directly leading to the second floor and the entrance of the first floor is on the southern side of the building. The building has perfect bilateral symmetry. Irregular patters of laying stones are found in the first floor and the windows are surrounded by bricks.
The priest office shows Romanesque and Renaissance styles of architecture and serves as an important historic site that reflects the construction techniques used in the 1900’s.
Part Ⅲ / Renovation
As the importance of preserving modern cultural heritages increases ever, the ways of preserving and using cultural heritages are being discussed from various perspectives. Unfortunately, many of the historical constructions built in early 1900s were destroyed with the rapid industrialization and economic development process, and those remaining require urgent repair and preservation effort. Given this, this exhibition will provide a precious opportunity to have a close look at bricks as a key to successful renovation and sustainability.
Ⅲ-1. DongA University Museum (Past. Gyungnam Provincial Government office)
The designation number: Cultural Asset No.41
The designation date: Sept 13, 2002
The location: 1 2ga Bumindong Seo-gu, Busan
The construction year: May 19, 2009 / The original building: 1925
Designed by Geumseong Construction, Dongnam Construction, Now Construction / The original building: Unknown
Size: Basement/ 2 stories, 4,504㎡ out of the gross area6,926㎡
Owner/Manager : DongA School Foundation
The construction began in 1923 and was completed in 1925 when the local government building in Jinju was moved to Busan. During the Korean War, the building was used as the government building in the temporary capital, and from 1953 it became the local government building with the capital transferred to Seoul. In 1983 it was used as the Busan District Court and the Prosecutor’s Office as the local government was moved to Changwon. DongA School Foundation purchased the building and the site in 2002 and reopened the building as DongA University Museum in May 2009 after the repair and remodeling works.
Ⅲ-2. Incheon Art Platform (Past. Nippon Yusen Kaisha)
The designation number: Cultural Asset No. 248
The designation date: April 14, 2006
The location: 10-1 bunji 1ga Haeandong Jung-gu, Incheon and 33 pilji
The construction year: The construction began in Oct, 2008 /The original building was constructed in 1925
Designed by Soonwoo Hwan(Bain Construction) / The original building: Unknown
Size: 2 complexes, 13dongs, Basement 1st~4thfloor
Land: 8,450.3m2 / Construction 4,165.06m2 / Total building floor 5,593.43m2
Structure: ferroconcrete, steel frame, Masonry Walls
Incheon Art Platform is located in Haean-dong in Jung-gu, Incheon-a town in which Architectural cultural assets dating back to the 1883 open port and buildings from the 1930s and 40s are well-preserved.
The area is recognized for its value in architectural form because of its well-preserved modern construction technology and historical records. Incheon Art Platform consists of 13 buildings of modern open-port era and of the 1930s to 40s-renovated into a Creative Studio, Art&Design Studio, Reference Hall, Education Hall, Exhibition Hall, Performance Hall etc. Incheon Art Platform is born from the combination of the city’s resolution and its citizens’ desire to maximize the city’s historic and location characteristics and take advantage of them through cultural activities. The open-port area is expected to be expanded into a vast "street museum", with the Platform at the center. The expansion, indeed, would be reinterpreting history in a way that would be applicable to the present while at the same time preserving the past.
Ⅲ-3. Seodaemun Prison Historical Hall (Past. Seodaemun Detention Center)
The designation number Historic Site No. 324
The designation date Feb 27, 1988
The location: 101 Hyunjeo-dong Seodaemumgu, Seoul
The construction year : The historical hall was opened in 1998/ The original building was constructed in 1907
Designed by: Dadam Construction (Restoration Project) / Unknown (The original building)
Size: 3 storied basements, 29,217.8㎡
Owner/Manager: Seodaemun District Office, Seoul
The prison, which was designed by a Japanese architect in Inwang mountain in 1907, was where Korean independence fighters were incarcerated, tortured and killed during the 1910-1945 colonial. Japan built a wooden building of 560 pyeong to occupy about 500 prisoners and was opened under the name of “Gyeongsung Prison”. It was used to house, torture and even kill anti-colonial activists till 1945 when the Japanese occupation ended. With the number of anti-colonial activists increasing, Japan built another prison in Mapo in 1912 and named it “Gyeongsung Prison”. From then the original Gyeongsung Prison began to be called “Seodaemun Prison”. In 1923, the name was changed into Seodaemun Hyeongmuso and 2,890 prisoners were imprisoned in 1944. Girls under the age of 18, those sentenced to more than 10 years in prison and those given life sentence were accommodated. Ryu Gwan-sun, a renowned female independence fighter died in 1920 at age 18 after being tortured in the prison. Kim Gu, Jang Woo-Kyu was kept here as well.
In 1946, the names of the two prisons were changed into “Gyeongsung Hyeongmuso” and “Seoul Hyeongmuso” and pro-Japanese activists were kept. In 1961, the name was changed into “Seoul Prison” and “Seoul Detention Center” in 1967 where political prisoners arrested during April 19 Revolution and May 16 Military Coup were confined. It was designated as a Historic Site in 1988 and the construction to restore the building and preserve the site as a historical place began in 1995 commemorating the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the government. The site was dedicated as the “Seodaemun Prison History Hall” on Nov 5, 1998.
This building is a living education site for Korean history vividly showcasing the sad part of the history. Visitors can pay a high tribute to the patriotic ancestors who valiantly fought against the Japanese invasion for sovereign independence, and renew the determination of the spirit of independence.
Ⅲ-4. Baejaehakdang History Museum (Past. Baejae School East Building)
The designation number: Seoul City Monument No. 16
The designation number: Historic Site No. 254
The designation date: Marcy 15, 2001
The location: 34-5 ho Jeongdong Jung-gu, Seoul
The construction year: July, 2008 / The original building: 1916
Designed by (Restoration) Hanin Construction (Exhibition) Jong-Hun Kim, Jooang Design/ The original building: Unknown
Size Basement and 3 stories, 1,194.59㎡
Owner (Manager): PaiChai School Foundation
This building is the first western school building. It was used as “East Building” of Baejae High School until the high school was moved to Godeokdong, Gangdong-gu in Feb 1984. Built in 1916, it has bilateral symmetry with 3 stories and a half basement. The walls were built of red bricks and granite was used for the floor of the basement and the border of the first floor. The porch, entrances and stairs were built of granite while the columns at the porch were built in the Tuscan styles. It also is the first of its kind school building which has a steam heating system in each classroom.
Pai Chai School Building has West Building of which the construction began in 1921 and was completed in 1923 in addition to East Building. The West Building was restored when the school was moved to Godeokdong, Gangdong-gu, and the auditorium was pulled down as the Pai Chai Park was created.
Ⅲ-5. Seoul Museum of Art Nam Seoul Annex (Past. Consulate of Belgium)
The designation date: Nov 22, 1977
The location: 1095-13 Namhyundong Gwanak-gu, Seoul
The construction year: Construction started in 1903, completed in 1905, and renovated before 1981
Designed by: Restoration- Samsung Construction / The original building – Kodama Engineering Company
Size: Two-storied with an underground floor, 3,468.9㎡
Owner (Manager) Woori Bank (Seoul City Mayor)
According to “Gyeongseonggiryak”, this building began to be constructed by Lion Vincart in 78 and 79 2ga, Hoehyundong in 1902 and completed in 1905. When Belgium moved its consulate to Chungmuro in 1919, this building became the main office of Yokohama Life Insurance Company, then an official residence of Japanese Navy. Then it was sold in 1970 to Korean Bank of Commerce. When the building site was fallen under the newly established redevelopment project, it was moved to the current site at Namhyeon-dong, Gwanak-gu of Seoul. Built in the symmetric classic style by using bricks and granite stone, it shows the main construction style of architecture in the early 20th century
Ⅲ-6. Deoksugung Palace Jungmyeongjeon
The designation number: Sajeok No. 124
The designation date: Feb 2007
Location: 1-11 Jeong-dong Jung-gu Seoul
The Construction Year: Reconstruction and repair in 2010 / Original Construction: Around 1900
Repaired by: Arumteo Construction / Original Construction: Sabatin (presumed)
Size: Basement and 2 Stories, 783.09㎡
Owner (Manager) Deoksugung Artifact Management Center
It is assumed that Russian architect “Sabatin” designed the building. When built IN 1899, this building was within the confines of Toksugung and was the first western-style building built in one of the Korean palaces. The Renaissance Palazzo style building has a basement and 2 stories consisting of granite stylobate and bricks. King Kojong also moved into this building in 1904 after a fire swept through Deoksugung. This building, however, is best known as the location where Foreign Minister Pak Chae-sin was forced in 1905 to sign the Treaty of Eulsa, which paved the way for Japanese annexation five years later. In 1907, special envoy including Jun Lee were dispatched to the Hague to appeal the injustice of the Treaty to the international community. After all, King Kojing was forced to abdicate due to the Treaty. For this reason, this building strongly reminds of the painful and sad memory about the Daehan Empire and King Kojing. Since a fire broken out in 1925, the structure of Chungmyongjon has been changed several times and used as a reception area for foreigners till the 1960’s. Later, the building was provided to King Young Chin and his wife, Bang Ja Lee for the residence. Unfortunately, however, it was extensively damaged after the ownership was transferred a private company in 1976. The government bought it back, designated it as “Sajeok No. 124” and launched the restoration project.
Part Ⅳ / Creation
This part presents paintings, installations, photos, constructions, ceramics, and glass crafts of 11 artists who use bricks as their main subject matter or material. The exhibition poses questions. What is brick for the artists? What factors of bricks stimulate their artistic inspiration? How do they express the inspiration? From a simple motif-borrowing to a turnaround and disturbance of a symbol system, to practical views on bricks, a wide range of works and approaches of contemporary artists are presented in the exhibition.
Ⅳ-1. Kangyong Kim(1950)
A graduate of the master’s and bachelor’s degree programs in the Department of Paintings, Hongik University, he has staged solo exhibitions at the Gallery Pakyoung, Seoul, in 2010; the T Art Center and China Art Museum in Beijing, China, in 2009; the Gana Art Center in 2008; the Art Seasons Gallery in Singapore; the Gaje Gallery in Osaka, Japan, in 2007; and the New Hope Gallery in New York and the Mono Gallery in China in 2006.
His group exhibitions include “Flow of Korean Modern Art II – Hyperrealist Painting” at the Gimhae Art and Sports Center and “Korean Modern Art” at the Singapore Art Gallery. He was also invited to the exhibition entitled “Critic’s 55 Modern Korean Artists Picks” held at the Seoul Arts Center. He also participated in the “Tokyo Modern Art Fair” and “Cologne Art Fair” in Germany in 2005.
Ⅳ-2. Yoojoo Kim(1961)
A graduate from the Department of Applied Art, College of Art, Seoul National University, in 1984, she then majored in ceramics at the same institution in 1986. Her first solo exhibition was held in Insa Gallery in 1997, and she participated in group exhibitions including “Toe (clay)” in 1986, “Sinawe of Earth” in 1990 and “Autumn Ceramics” from 1985 to 1990. Other exhibitions include “Bowl” and “CUP” in 1992 and “Ceramics on the Table” in 1990.
She won a prize at the 4th “World Small Ceramics Competition” in 1993 and a special prize at the 3rd “World Small CeramicsCompetition” in 1990. She is currently teaching at Seoul National University and Kyonggi University.
A graduate from the Department of Architecture in Sungkyunkwan University, in 1985, he finished his PhD at the same institution. He has taught at the Graduate School of Architecture in Kyonggi University as an invited professor, at Kyungbok College and Paichai University as an adjunct professor, and currently at Kwangwoon University. He has consecutively served as an invited research staff member at Japan University, as a member of the 50th anniversary editing committee and a Cultural Asset special member (department for historical sites) of the Korea Institute of Architects. He is currently working as an invited artist for the Korea Architecture Fair and the CEO of Design Group Ari Architecture Co., Ltd.
Ⅳ-3. Teawoo Kim(1962) / Seonghee Koh(1961)
Especially, he is a general director of Myungdong Church’s cultural asset maintenance project where he began his association with clay, bricks and modern architectural culture. He also serves as a foundation director of DOCOMOMO-KOREA and legislation director of the Korea Institute of Architects.
He participated in the Young Artist Hangsung Competition, the Catholic Church architecture competition, the Catholic artist’s membership competition, the Jaseang Competition and CRISS-CROSS competition. He received the grand prize in the residential space competition hosted by the Korea Housing Corporation. His major works include Cultural Hall in Myungdong Church, Mokgam Church, a house in Geumho-dong, Shin Building, Gulawoo Residence, and 620-18 Yeoksam-dong.
Seonghee Koh graduated from the Department of Sculpting in the College of Art, Hongik University, and received her master’s degree at the same institution. She completed her courses at the Paris National Art College in France, majored in glasswork at ADAC, Paris, and received her PhD from the College of Art, Hongik University.
She served as an operating chairperson at the Glass Art Festival in 2000 and 2002, and an operating director and a judge at the Cheongju International Craft Biennale. She has had nine solo exhibitions in Korea and overseas. She is also actively participating in more than 190 group exhibitions and is the representative Korean glass artist.
Ⅳ-4. Miri Noh(1979)
Majoring in Arts and Painting at the College of Art in Hongik University, she finished her bachelors program at the same institution, in 2004, and undertook a master’s program at the University of Southampton, England, in 2006. She staged a solo exhibition entitled “The Truth about Relationship” at The View, in England, in 2006 and the Light Box in Korea, in 2008. She participated in the “A World in the Box” and “Light + Space” exhibitions in the same year. In 2004, she participated in a project exhibition, “Flying in the Cube” and “Small Space One.” Moreover, she took part in “the 4th Wowbook Festival” and “the 5th Seoul Media Art Biennale” in 2008.
Ⅳ-5. Haiyoung Suh(1968)
Haiyoung Suh graduated from the Department of Sculpture in the College of Art, Ewha Women’s University, in 1991, and the Accdemia di Belle Arti di Brera, Milan, Italy, in 1995. She staged solo exhibitions at the Kumho Museum in 2007, the Gallery In in 2003, and the Gana Insa Art Center in 2002.
She received the 21st Seoknam Art Prize in 2002 and held an exhibition at the Space SADI. As part of a project design, the BOON the shop was installed in Shinsegae International in 2001. In 2000, she participated in the Outdoor Sculpture Culture Festival, the Korea Festival Ensemble and National Museum of Contemporary Art, Korea.
Ⅳ-6. Opus Architecture
The three partnering architects, Daesung Woo, Seongki Cho and Hyungjong Kim established the Architect’s office, Opus Co., Ltd, in 1999 and have been working as partners for the 11 years since then. From 2005, they founded an interior design company, Monosome, as a separate corporation that integrates architecture, interior design, and renovation projects. They won “The Millennium Gate” design competition in 2000 as part of Korea’s Millennium project. They staged an exhibition entitled “The Lifeline of Koreans, Hangang” at the National Folk Museum of Korea in August 2000. The “Millennium Gate” was introduced in d’architecture, a French architecture magazine, in October 2000 and A+U, a Japanese architecture magazine, in August 2001. The architecture magazine, Space, published a special feature of young architects in March 2003. They served as invited architects at the Korea Architecture Fair in 2009. They received the KOSID Golden Scale Award for ‘Ellord Hills’, Cheongdam-dong, and the ‘Kolon Sports Culture Station’, Kangnam Road, in 2008 and 2009, respectively.
Ⅳ-7. Junghyun Yoo(1973)
After graduating from the Department of Printing in the College of Art, Hongik University, in 1997, she attained the Diplom Meisterschüler at the Department of Painting, Munich National College of Art and Design, in 2002.
Her solo exhibition were “Start & Dark Spills” held in the Johyun Gallery in 2009 (Seoul and Busan) and “Dark Flowers” held in the Gallery Alexader Ochs in 2007 (Berlin). In 2005, the exhibition “A Liminal Space” was staged in the Gallery Art Side in 2005 (Seoul). Her international exhibitions include “Shadow of the Days” in 2004 at the Gallery Pruess & Ochs (Berlin, Germany). She participated in the group exhibitions entitled “Wunderkammer” in the Sesame Gallery, in London, in 2009 and “Korean Figurative Art” in Frankfurt, Germany, in 2009.
She won the “Daner Prize” in Munich, Germany, 2001. She joined the Changdong Art Creative Studio Residency in 2006-2007.
Ⅳ-8. Jaehong Jun(1960)
He completed his master’s degree at the Department of Photography in the Graduate School of Art and Design, Sangmyung University. He then obtained his PhD at the graduate school of Hannam University.
He has staged five solo exhibitions as a photographer of modern architecture and participated in the Korea Gallery Art Fair held in BEXCO, Busan, 2010. In 2009, he held the “Article 39, Item 2” exhibition at the Art Sonje Center (Seoul) and the “HICA” exhibition at the CASO Art Gallery in Osaka, Japan. The exhibition “Document” was held at the Seoul Municipal Art Gallery in 2004.